Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I am I the only one that realizes this? All the music out there sounds exactly the same!
I was in Miami a couple weeks ago and everywhere I went they played the exact same set of songs. To make it worse, all the songs sounded exactly alike. From TI to Chingy to Yung Joc. I mean they are all little kids who have the exact same sound. I feel like I'm in the ghetto Disney Land when I walk into a club.

The problem is this is the only type of music that we hear so we are forced to like it. When I first hear these songs, I think they are not good, but eventually they grow on me because I hear it so much. We are constantly presented with subpar music so we are comparing that subpar music to other subpar music. Liken it to a group of girls that you are hanging out with of which none are hot when you first see them. However, the more you hang out with them that night the better looking you think they are. And this is without the drinking! They grow on you like these songs.

At the same time maybe I'm just getting old. Maybe I've just become spoiled and its harder to impress me. One argument could be that the more and more music that is out there the harder it is to come up with new material. That is where all these rappers come in. Not one rap song we hear anymore is an original beat and if it is, like I said before, its all the same. The sad thing is, the songs that we think are the greatest from Biggie, to Nas, to Outkast, to Lil Romeo are all ripped from somewhere. It baffles me when I'm in the waiting room in a doctor's office listening to 98.7 hits for the oldies, and all of a sudden "I like the way you move comes on". But its not with Outkast, but some old guy who sounds like Kenny G.

Yet what kind of argument is that. Since when has the common person become so unoriginal. Have the music industry people just given in. Have they just said, forget the creative stuff, lets just take the easy way out? It certainly sounds like it. If this theme is the case with the rest of the world, we're not in good shape. Just think if all the scientists stopped being creative and testing for diseases and they say, let's just go with the old methods and see what else we could come up with, we'd never find a cure for cancer. We will be in a never ending cycle where the world discourages new ideas.

The internet, the iPod and the MP3 has forced us to focus on creating new media to listen to music rather than the music itself. Music doesn't make that much money anymore because people don't buy cd's. Therefore people look to create marketable music that rings a bell with people, that is just good enough, so that instead of selling them to consumers, they can sell it to other companies to use in their advertising.
I find myself constantly listening to the same old music on my ipod because I just don't care enough to get the "new" music.

Something's gotta change...

Maybe that change will be me

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home